How often do you find yourself coming up against issues with your existing systems, wishing you could upgrade – but stop, because you find yourself thinking – It’s just too difficult to leave my old technology behind.
Well, you’re not alone. Many businesses still use what are commonly known as legacy systems, instead of up-to-date, efficient, and integrated business management solutions.
So, why is it difficult to leave my old technology (legacy system) behind?
It’s difficult to leave your old technology for a number of reasons, some of which are misconceptions, others of which are legitimate concerns.
- My data cannot be changed to newer or standard formats.
Many businesses are afraid that they will lose data in the transition or simply aren’t aware that’s it possible.
- I already know how to use this system, learning how to use a new one will take a lot of time and money.
With a wide range of business management solutions available to meet a variety of requirements, businesses can easily find a user friendly system with an interface that will take little time to master.
- If I change my system, I’ll lose an asset that I’ve invested heavily in.
This is the wrong way to look at it. What businesses should be asking themselves is: Am I investing in the right system?
In business, it’s all about the Return on Investment (ROI). So choose where you spend your money wisely, spend it on a system that will save you money with efficiencies, not a system that is draining resources and costs.
- I have a good relationship with my developer/s that can customise the legacy system, if I change systems, I’ll lose this.
No matter how good the developer, they can only work within the limitations of the software. By leveraging the strengths of a newer, easy to use software, adjustments are easily made.
By searching for individuals with a certain skillset to manage a legacy system, you’re potentially missing out on a pool of talent that will undoubtedly have the skillset to manage a new business software.
- My data won’t be as safe and secure in a new cloud-based system as it will be in a legacy system.
It’s true that data is more secure offline, however in today’s evolving Information Security (IS) environment, there are plenty of security options that ensure your data is safe.
In fact, you’ll find that the accessibility and accuracy advantages of storing your data online far exceed any perceived cons.
Why should I leave my old technology behind?
Most businesses we’ve encountered who have made the switch said the following – I should leave my old technology behind because I’m currently NOT leveraging the following strengths and features of newer systems:
- Strategic decisions based on accurate data;
- Real time reporting, leveraging visuals and graphics to develop clear insights;
- Easily accessible data;
- Compatibility with common operating systems e.g. Windows;
- Integration with common marketing and accounting tools;
- Paperless warehousing solutions;
- Scalable solutions;
- Well-structured implementation and ongoing support;
- Ability to reduce time lag between order made and customer receive order;
- Live customer data, facilitating best practice customer service; and
- Systems that can be managed by any staff member, not just the technical minded.
Micronet Systems: Can we help?
Micronet is a leading provider of standard business software solutions, providing end-to-end solutions for wholesaling, distribution, service, job costing, and manufacturing companies. With over 30 years in the industry, Micronet Systems’ business solutions have been implemented in over 2000 companies worldwide.
With our friendly team providing strong support and a structured implementation process, you can always trust Micronet to configure a solution to meet your business’ specific requirements. Our extensive expertise and resources consists of access to certified engineers in Microsoft and Citrix, qualified CPA accountants, highly experienced installers, trainers, and solution implementers.
We are committed to developing and delivering integrated business software solutions that empower our customers to streamline business processes, make informed decisions and achieve their business goals.
Still finding it difficult to leave your old technology behind? Or have you seen the light, and want to find out the process Micronet follows to transition your data from a legacy system? Either way, we can help you. Please call me on 02 9542 2000.
Stuart Duncan is a Senior Sales Consultant at Micronet Systems, and is focused on helping business leaders overcome inefficient processes regarding: sales, inventory and accounting systems by leveraging cutting edge technology. If you want to gain better control of your key processes, then leverage Stuart’s 35 years of experience to help you drive a real change in your business.